Monday, July 23, 2012

Creamy Delicious Yummy Spinach Dip

I am a sucker for a few things, and one of them is cheese. I'm also a fan of warm, creamy, comfort food (which coincidentally, often involve cheese), which is why spinach dip has become a fan favorite. Honestly, who can resist chopped spinach mixed in with loads of warm, melted cheese? Maybe all you wicked skinny people out there can, but for the rest of us, no way.

This recipe is not healthy, but you can certainly cut down on the calories by swapping out full-fat ingredients from reduced-cal ones. I often use Nunchablahblah cheese rather than regular cream cheese because it contains one-third less fat. I also have recently discovered "light" Alfredo sauce, which has replaced the traditional version. Yes, yes... I know. Jarred Alfredo sauce is somewhat of a taboo for Italians and also for people who are anti-anything-with-chemicals. Admittedly, I am one of those people who prefers to eat natural and organic foods, but sometimes it's necessary to splurge a bit, and by splurge, I mean eat processed foods that are packed with preservatives and ahh... xanathan gum.

For all of you natural foodies out there, I challenge you to take the xanathan gum test. If you don't die, I'll give you all the money that I've earned from writing this blog. Maybe not. How about a modest cut of what I've made? After all, I've spent three weeks of my life on this thing and have just passed the $3.50 mark.

Ingredients:
1 jar Alfredo sauce
1 brick cream cheese
1 box of chopped spinach, thawed and drained (make sure it's CHOPPED. Otherwise, you'll have this stringy mess that will probably get stuck on your hangy ball [uvula for all you science people out there])
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Tortilla chips for scooooping (Or for those calorie cutters out there... cut veggies)

Method:
1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine Alfredo sauce and cream cheese. Microwave for about two minutes. Mix after two minutes.

2. Add drained spinach and Parmesan cheese to bowl. Mix in and microwave for another two minutes and stir. Keep heating and stirring until the cheese is melted or until it's as warm as you like.

3. Eat with tortilla chips. Oh my gosh. Did you pee from excitement yet? No? You will. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment