Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Broccoli Quiche

You've figured out by now that I don't mind sparking up the oven when it's nearly 90 degrees outside. Call me crazy, but eating yogurt for dinner gets really old after a while, and by a while, I mean 30 seconds. First of all yogurt is not satisfying and second, yogurt is not satisfying. This is why I whip out "winter recipes" even when you can see steam rising from the pavement.

I adore quiche. It's easy to prepare, is packed with flavor (as long as you do it right), and is always excellent the next day. If you want to reduce the calories in this recipe, omit the pie crust. I have done this several times, (I suppose it ends up being a sort of fritatta), and it's still amazing.

Ingredients:
1 pie crust
2-3 cloves pressed garlic
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella (I use 2%)
4 large or extra-large eggs (use egg substitute if you're cutting calories)
1 1/2 cups milk (I always use skim, and it's a-o-k.)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups broccoli (If you're using frozen vegetables, make sure you thaw and DRAIN it, otherwise your pie will be very, very watery)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan (this isn't necessary to the success of this recipe, but it's so. so. so. good.)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350'.

2. In bowl, beat eggs. Mix in salt, pepper, and garlic.

3. Add broccoli and mozzarella cheese.

4. Press pie crust into bottom of pie plate. Pour egg-broccoli mixture into crust. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.

5. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.  Let set for a few minutes before serving.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment